If Sam-I-am had asked his friend to try rice, eggs, and spam instead of green eggs and ham, he would have got an enthusiastic yes. Of course, there wouldn’t be much of a story about it. Still, we’d like to think that Sam-I-am and his friends would have waxed poetic about having rice, eggs, and spam in a house, with a mouse, in the rain, and on a train. We certainly enjoyed having ours while in Oahu in the dark and in a car. Let us know if you would have our version here, there, and everywhere!
BT’s RICE, EGGS, AND SPAM HAWAIIAN BREAKFAST
Serves 2 Total Time: 25 minutes
WHAT YOU NEED
2 cups of jasmine white rice Rice cooker
4 eggs 1 medium fry pan
Extra virgin olive oil
1 tin of Spam
Salt and pepper to taste
WHAT TO DO
1. For the rice, add 2 cups of rice to a rice cooker pot. Rinse the rice with tap water until nearly clear to remove the grainy surface starches. Then, for a 6 cup cooker pot, add enough water to the pot such that the surface of the water reaches the first knuckle of your forefinger when touching the level of the cleaned rice. Place the prepared pot into the rice cooker, cover the lid, and turn on.*
2. For the eggs, crack 4 eggs into a bowl. Beat the eggs lightly with a fork until mixed. Preheat a frying pan over medium heat and add enough olive oil to coat the pan without pooling. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the eggs to the pan and cook, turning occasionally with a spatula, until the eggs have set and are light and fluffy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. For the spam, open the tin and slice the spam into quarter-inch thick planks. Cook the spam over medium-high heat in the same fry pan as the eggs until the sides have browned slightly.
4. Once the rice is done, compose your plate and enjoy breakfast.
* BT Tip: The amount of water to cook the rice in actually depends on how much rice you want to cook, the size of your rice cooker pot, and the type of rice you are using. You may need to adjust the amount of cooking water using trial and error until you obtain a soft moist rice.