When we think of bruschetta we think of it as the superhero of Italy. After all there are as many legends surrounding this delectable little snack as there are Spanish steps in Rome. Have you heard the one where these tiny toasts helped olive farmers sell their oils? Or the one where Romans rescued their stale bread by grilling it and placing leftovers on top? If we had a bruschetta for every story we heard during our stay in Rome, we would have…a never ending feast of bruschetta! Which is not a bad way to live, considering there are as many varieties of bruschetta as there are yarns about how this superhero was born. So next time you have a meal crisis, put down the phone, head to the kitchen, and call for Bruschetta to come to the rescue!
BT’s BRUSCHETTA RECIPE
Serves 6 Total Time: 25 Minutes [Prep = 15 minutes; Cook = 10 minutes]
WHAT YOU NEED
6 ripe plum tomatoes
6 fresh basil leaves, chopped fine
1 shallot diced
1 French baguette
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup extra virgin rosemary infused olive oil*
Salt and pepper to taste
WHAT TO DO
1. Preheat oven at 450℉ (232℃). Slice baguette into diagonal pieces, each ½ inch thick. Using a pastry brush gently coat one side of each slice with olive oil. Dab a dime sized smear of minced garlic into each oil coated slice.
2. Place bread slices on a foil covered baking sheet and toast in oven for 6 minutes or until the oil-coated surface turns golden brown.
3. Dice the tomatoes and place in a large bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of the olive oil, chopped basil, diced shallot, salt, pepper, and remaining garlic into the bowl. Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
4. Place toasted bread, oil-coated surface side up on a serving platter. Spoon tomato mixture onto each toast slice. Serve for lunch, dinner, or as a delicious snack.
* BT Tip: For bruschetta the toast is the frame to showcase the high quality of the olive oil, so choose your Italian extra virgin olive oil carefully. This is the time to invest in your favorite variety of full bodied, aromatic, Tuscan olive oil.