There are two things every person should know how to make: a good burger and a mango lassi. Born in India, there is nowhere this puppy does not feel at home. Backyard Texan barbecue? Whip together this drink and you will never lack a line dancing partner. Fancy Parisian fete? This yogurt refresher will get you invited to all the right soirees. Festive Quinceañera? The colorful mango lassi dances well with empanadas. Proper English afternoon tea? Well, you’re on your own there. Still, this drink is just as good as the real Lassie at getting you out of most difficult situations. Just don’t expect it to bark three times and run to grandpa’s farm after you have fallen down the well.
BT’s MANGO LASSI RECIPE
Serves 4 Total Time: 7 Minutes [4 minutes preparation; 3 minutes blending]
WHAT YOU NEED
3 ripe mangos, seeded and diced
18 ounces plain non-fat yogurt
½ cup water
½ cup 2% milk
4 tablespoons sugar
4 sprigs of mint
WHAT TO DO
1. In a blender, add the diced mango, water, and milk. Blend until the mango chunks are dissolved.
2. Add the yogurt to the mixture and blend again until smooth.
3. Taste the lassi drink and adjust the sweetness by adding the sugar in batches to your liking, blending as needed. The amount of sugar or other sweetener will depend on the sweetness of the mango and your taste preference.*
4. Transfer the finished mango lassi to a pitcher which you can chill in the refrigerator up to 24 hours. If you would like to enjoy your lassi immediately, simply pour the drink over ice and serve.
* BT Tip: Add a dash of ground cardamom to enhance the flavor of the lassi.